Favorite R & B Christmas Songs
I was recently at a dinner party, because I'm an adult now, and the host was playing holiday music. I joked that our holiday music is so different from the "traditional". A few days later I was shopping with my mother and the shopping center in El Segundo was actually playing R&B Christmas music. We both were surprised and at the end of Boyz II Men's "Let It Snow" there a ton of "runs" they like to call it. My mom, "Wow we really do stretch a song". But that's part of the fun I guess.
Since dad past I've had a hard time listening to Christmas music because he loved it so much. I see now why people are sad during this time. I remember Christmases being busy and fun. Luckily I have the family I have now but it's not the same without him.
But I'm trying to get back on that horse to be reminded of the good memories I had with him. Here is a top 10 of our favorite songs we enjoyed when unwrapping gifts and now when I hear them I will always think of him.
10. "All I Want for Christmas Is You" - Mariah Carey. I'm adding this one because he always had a huge crush on her.
9. "Let It Snow" - Boyz II Men. My mom thinks it runs a little too long but it still sounds so good.
8. "Sleigh Ride" - TLC. He played this one more for me but he secretly enjoyed it.
7. "My Gift to You" - Alexander O'Neal. Epitome of R&B and this whole album makes Christmas sound sexy.
6. "Give Love on Christmas Day" - Jackson 5. To be so young such a powerful song.
5. "Someday at Christmas" - Stevie Wonder. He sounds like an angel as usual.
4. "Santa Clause Go Straight to the Ghetto" - James Brown. Reminder we like Christmas too.
3. "Merry Christmas All" - The Salsoul Orchestra. Classic 70s.
2. "Silent Night" - The Temptations. There are about 100 different versions of this...just by The Temptations alone. Definitely a classic.
1. "This Christmas" - Donny Hathaway. His voice is so beautiful and soulful and my favorite part is when he says, "Wish a brother Merry Christmas". My people could definitely use well wishes this year and we hope for a better 2017.
Check out The Daily Beast 10 Best Christmas R&B Albums for more.